Slowly Unravelling

This is to be my random ramblings of theatre, knitting, school life, my musical in progress, and anything I feel that the world should know about me. Why? you may ask. Well I'll tell you. Because I say so.

8.22.2006

Why I hate computers. And some other stuff.

I know that computers are supposed to make life easier and help me out. They let me get free knitting patterns. They let me download my musicals. I can type out my giant papers and research to my hearts content. I can meet up with my friends. There are so many wonderful blessing that the computer gives to society. My personal favourite is an object to throw at the wall.

It currently hates me. I don't know why, but I have tried to post a blog 3 times this last week and all three were rudely interupted by random crashings that resulted in my mock swearing (snazzlefracken...rasifrassen...grumble) I hate computers. I'm going to grow up and be amish. I swear a life without the scourge of technology seems like a serious blessing at this moment in time.

There are other reasons why I hate computers which I will spare you. You just need to know I hate them.

Stewart is coming along slowly (funny how that works when you never take it out of your purse...) I've been neglecting him as of late in favor of actually finishing my homework (which I only have biology left. I read the mayor of casterbridge in 4 days. I finished it 11:58 last night.) He's great for KIP, especially since he's done aside from one forearm. I'm not quite frustrated with him yet, just bored. He's good monotony.

The short-row hat
is almost done.
I just have the top left.
(I couldn't help myself. It needed to be explained in short rows...I'm a horrible person)

I started the swallow tail shawl (from now on ethel) from this season's interweave and I probably shoudn't have because my yarn choice means that I have to use needles that give me a gauge too small (24 rows in 4" instead of 18 rows. bad) so I've spent a measurable amount of my life trying to make the lace work. Initially I thought it would work fine if I just added 5 repeats of the budding lace. No. the border is repeated over 8 stitches. Everything else is over ten. So I set to work (i did six pages of math) and re-wrote somethings (lace charts. dont' do that. It'll kill you.) and redid the math 5 times and contemplated gouging out my eye. Then...and epiphany.

19 reps budding lace
1 rep lily 1
2 reps lily 2
edging.

It works out perfectly. I am at peace

I'm going to close this with Henchard's will and the last line from The Mayor of Castorbirdge: (well, a portion of the last sentence. It's kind of long.)

Micheal Henchard's Will
That Elizabeth-Jane Farfrae be not told of my death
or made to grieve on account of me.
& that I be not bruy'd in consecrated ground
& that no sexton be asked to toll the bell
& that nobody is wished to see my dead body.
& that no murners walk behind me at my funeral
& that no flours be planted on my grave
& that no man remember me
To this I put my name
Michael Henchard.

"The one to whom such unbroken tranquility had been accorded in the adult stage was she whose youth had seemed to teach that happiness was but the occasional episode in a general drama of pain."

I threw the book at the floor.

Much Love.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home